Engineer Spotlight: Xiaodong Zhang
For 2022 Engineers Week, we are highlighting some of our awesome member engineers. Monday's spotlight: Xiaodong Zhang of ZEST LLC.
- Name: Xiaodong Zhang
- Company: ZEST LLC
- Title/role: President
- Hometown & Current town: China / Clarksville, MD
- Alma Mater(s): Clarkson University / IWHR
- Family/pets: Daughter in high school and son in middle school
- Favorite DC-area restaurant: Fiola Mare
- Favorite DC tourist destination: Theodore Roosevelt Island
- Favorite travel destination: Lake Tahoe
- Food you always crave: Blue crabs
- Favorite app: Chick-fil-A
- Favorite movie: Forrest Gump
- When I'm not at work you'll find me: Cooking, swimming, and coaching kids soccer team
- Dream job: Engineer
Let's Get To It……
- What got you into the engineering industry and what keeps you here?
Enjoy contributing to flood mitigation and environmental hazards control and providing solutions to the industry.
- What is your area of expertise within engineering, and what drew you there?
Started with performing physical and numerical modeling to find a solution for the cavitation issues in hydraulic engineering. Expanded interests from 3D numerical hydraulic modeling into 1D and 2D watershed scale modeling, large and small scale hydrology modeling integrated with GIS, Dam Breach Analysis, Bridge/Culvert Hydraulics, Drainage, SWM, Erosion and Sediment Control, flooding control, and stream restoration, etc.
- What inspired you to join ACEC and what are you hoping to get out of your membership?
The benefits of the membership are not only receiving the most updated industry information and having the opportunity to observe and learn from the pioneers and seniors, but also being able to work with colleagues to educate the public and advocate our industry.
- What has been the most valuable part of your membership so far?
- What has been your favorite ACEC/MW or ACEC event?
- What part of the ACEC/MW mission to Educate, Engage, and Advocate most resonates with you and why?
We as small business are impacted the most by the PPP loan credit issue. I have been impressed how ACEC responded quickly both at national and local levels to advocate for small businesses and the most vulnerable members that suffered the most during the pandemic.
- What's the most valuable thing you've learned through ACEC (an event, speaker, or fellow member)?
- Best work-related advice you've ever received?
- ACEC/MW Immediate Past President Rizwan A. Siddiqi, P.E.
- ACEC/MW Staff
- Kyle Urda, P.E., Facilities Chair
- Arthur Jones Dove, PE, PMP, CCM, MBA, PgMP
- Hanif Drzal, P.E., CJP
- Michael A. Perrotta, P.E., AICP
- Aaron Smith, P.E., LEED AP, Maryland Municipal Committee Chair
- Erin Donovan, PE, CQA
- Mary Searing, PE, DWRE, CFM and Norelis M. Florentino, PE, MBA, PMP
- Pedro Capestany, PE
- Hanif Drzal, P.E., CJP & Jenny Bowers
- James Thomas, P.E.
- Norelis M. Florentino, PE, MBA, PMP
- Vel Subramanian, PhD, PE, BCEE
- Sean Rousseau, P.E.
- Keith Foxx, P.E.
- James P. Hoffman, PE, LEED AP O+M, CEM
- Arpan Patel, PMP
- Qamar Kazmi, PE and Monty Simon
- Bryan C. Layman, P.E., L.P.S.S., A.O.S.E., LEED AP
- Eric Rehwoldt, P.E., P.G.